AnsweredAssumed Answered

Yaw Rate Gyroscope for Head Tracking

Question asked by game6 on Aug 5, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 by NevadaMark

Hello --

This is to request wiring information assistance on the Yaw Rate Gyroscope ADXRS620 ...

I am working on a school project that involves measuring eye movements and gaze direction.  To get valid gaze direction readings I need to accoount for the position of the head ... and I am considering the use of the ADXRS620.

I built an electrooculogram amplifier and I am getting very good signals ... so that part is done.  But I have never worked with a resonating gyroscope ... so I want to make sure I understand and wire this thing correctly..

First question, why are there two pins for everything ... for example, in the data sheet the RATEOUT signal is at pins 1B and 2A ... is one the reference or both pins have the same signal?

If I understand correctly ... if I mount the ADXRS620 on a helmet ... when the subject turns his head the voltage at the RATEOUT pin(s) will indicate the angular rate that the head was turned in mV/sec where mV = degrees ... so all I would have to do is divide that rate by the time stamps of the event and I will get head direction at the various time stamps ...

How accurate are these readings? ... how sensitive is it?  how do I calibrate before each reading? ...

If I just wire according to Fig 1 in the data sheet (capacitors, grounds, and +5v) ...and hook up my oscilloscope to pin(s) 1B or 2A ... will I get head-movement signals? ... is it that straight forward or am I missing anything? ...

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated ... sorry for the basic questions ... kind of new at this ...

Thank you.

Outcomes