AnsweredAssumed Answered

BF506F - Senior Design Project

Question asked by mdcovington on Mar 22, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 4, 2010 by TomA
I am a computer engineering student at the University of Texas at Austin.  My senior design group is working on a project where we are using the Blackfin DSP for general purpose processing, audio encoding/decoding, and possibly voice recognition (audio matching).  I have provided a brief description of our project below.  If more detail is required, I can elaborate.
The project is Close Area Navigation and Auditory Ranging (CANAR).  It is an electronic travel aid for the blind and visually impaired, which will have the form-factor of a standard flashlight.  It performs three basic functions: ranging, navigation, tracking.  The ranging function uses a range sensor to determine the distance to obstacles and converts this data into an audio frequency.  The goal of this feature will be to allow users to build a mental image of the surrounding area by interpreting varying frequency.  At minimum, if placed in an unfamiliar room, the user should be able to easily find the door.  The navigation function uses a GPS chip and compass to guide users to previously saved locations using audio cues such as pulse rate.  The tracking function will record the user's path, preventing them from getting lost and providing a way to save new locations.  We hope this device will allow the visually impaired to travel further from home, with more confidence than ever before.
Our group has completed the Schematic and PCB design, and we are ordering boards at the end of this week.  I've attached the schematic and PCB design in PDF format, and I've also included the entire PCB Artist working directory.  If any Blackfin experts have time to look over the schematic, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I am somewhat concerned about the JTAG and SPORT interfaces.  Any contributors will be given credit in our presentation and any documentation.
Notes:
-There are a lot of parts with value NP.  We do not intend to populate these; they are just there so we have options.
-The CODEC communicates through SPORT0.  We intend to run I2S mode with the CODEC as the master.
-SPORT1 is configured as the ACM interface.  I realized we could have hardwired some of the ACM interface, but we didn't for flexibility.
-TWI connects to the compass.  SPI0 connects to a microSD card and the codec control port.  UART connects to the GPS.
Thank you,
Michael Covington

Attachments

Outcomes