AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADAU1446 Flexible TDM Configuration

Question asked by tompdx on May 15, 2013
Latest reply on May 21, 2013 by BrettG

I am struggling to successfully configure an ADAU1446 for the following scenario

Serial Input 0 - Provide 48kHz master clock to external stereo codec with data format of 24 bit TDM2

Serial Input 1 - Provide 48kHz master clock to external stereo codec with data format of 24 bit TDM2

Serial Input 2 - Provide 48kHz master clock to external stereo codec with data format of 24 bit TDM2

Serial Input 3 - Provide 48kHz master clock to external stereo codec with data format of 24 bit TDM2

Serial Input 4 - Provide 48kHz master clock to external stereo codec with data format of 24 bit TDM2

Serial Input 5 - Slaved to external 8KHz device  with a data format of 16 bit TDM5 (5 channels of audio) Linear PCM 8KHz with 8KHz positive pulse frame sync.

The outputs are the same.

I am confused about the TDM5.  I am attempting to use Flexible TDM Mode for this. 

Can anybody brain dump how they believe I would configure my ADAU1446 to be a master to 5 codecs and a slave to a sixth one with a non-standard TDM5 format?

I assume I handle the clock by setting Serial Input 5 to "Slave to Clock Domain 5".  Is this correct?

Does the ADAU1446 consider my first four stereo serial inputs to be using slots 0-1,1-2,3-4, and 5-6, which would mean my TDM5 input would start at slot 7?

The Flex Modes Screens in SigmaStudio are confusing to me.  They are defaulting every input and every output to TDM Slot 0.  This makes me think I will need to map all of these slots, even the ones going to stereo codecs.

Bottom line, I don't have a good mental model of the relationship of the TDM Flex Modes.  I've used the ADAU1446 before, but only with stereo codecs. I've used TDM4 on a ADAU1761, but it seemed straight forward compared to this.

Outcomes