AnsweredAssumed Answered

uClinux versus VDSP

Question asked by Wojtek on Mar 12, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2013 by Aaronwu

Hello: we are about to start a significant software development effort with our BlackVME board based on FPGA+BF561 (described on http://www.skutek.com/DDC10.htm). We would appreciate an unbiased advice which toolchain would be better, uClinux or VisualDSP? (I know I am asking this on the Linux forum, but still..). In our project we need to make an efficient use the following hardware features:

1. The PPI will move blocks of data between the FPGA and the BF561.
  2. The interrupt latency should be as short as reasonably possible.
  3. We want to use both BF561 cores. We do not yet know, how exactly we will use them, SMP or AMP. Nevertheless, we need good multicore support without diving into bloody details up front.
  4. The Ethernet MAC (ASIX AX88180) will ship the data out the board as fast as possible.
  5. An embedded website is needed to control the board.  (We are using boa under uClinux. Does a similar webserver exist under VDSP? It does not have to be a website. An embedded GUI with a web-like functionality would be fine.)
  6. Remote graphics display of histograms and scatter plots is needed. (We are using gnuplot under uClinux. Does a similar graphics exist under VDSP?)
  7. How hard is to use VDSP, versus using Adeos/Xenomai under uClinux?
  8. Does Adeos/Xenomai provide a comparable performance to the VDSP?

Our main concern with uClinux is a rather long and poorly predictable interrupt latency, due to the fact that Linux is not an RTOS. We know that we can use Adeos/Xenomai, but it seems to us that Adeos/Xenomai is hard to use. Hence we are looking in the direction of the VDSP. We would like to hear whether it is advisable to switch from uClinux to VDSP, and what are the projected performance gains versus difficulties.

If you think that I should ask in the VDSP forums, then I can ask there. Perhaps it is a FAQ, but I have not found it answered.

Thank you -- Wojtek

Outcomes