AnsweredAssumed Answered

SigmaDSP Part Selection

Question asked by JoshuaK on Feb 26, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 8, 2013 by ColemanR

Hi all,

I don't have much experience with digital audio, I am more of a digital control systems guy. However, I had an idea for a project recently that would really help me out. It's essentially a small, specialized audio mixer. I tried designing a digitally controlled analog mixer, but the results were less than satisfactory. Doing a bit more research I discovered SigmaDSP, and what might be a rather unique and flexible solution to my problem.

At the moment, I'm not entirely sure which chip to focus on, which is holding me up from choosing an eval kit. With them being as expensive as they are ($700 each), I don't want to make a mistake and have to get a second one. My application calls for roughly 8 audio inputs, and 6 outputs. These will be used for distributing voice communications around, so this can safely be run at a lower sampling rate (48KHz will be more than enough). I had originally looked at the ADAU1701 as it had a few built in ADC/DAC, but now I'm starting to look towards the ADAU1446 as I will be able to sequester all analog signals to one part of my PCB. An added bonus is that my ultimate design will likely end up being rather close to what the eval kit is (minus all the bits I'm not using), which would make borrowing suggested component values a bit easier. I haven't looked into the specs just yet, but I think that one downside of going with the ADAU1446 is the increased clock speed, which will likely mean increased current consumption. This device will need to be battery powered ultimately, so I'm trying to keep consumption down to under 400-500mA.

Any thoughts on which might be a better choice?

As I mentioned, I don't have much experience in this area, so there are a ton of unknowns as I research. I have been playing in SigmaStudio, and even just changing inputs from I2S to TDM is a bit confusing. I am making progress, but please excuse any particularly dumb questions.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Outcomes