AnsweredAssumed Answered

AD9524 Bypass PLL2 mode?

Question asked by nlanier on Aug 18, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2012 by pkern

I've looked through and searched the AD9524 register documentation.  I can find no reference to a bypass PLL2 mode but somehow my device seems to be in this mode.  I'm using the eval. board to control the AD9524 in my design by jumpering over the 4 SPI lines and resetb.  This works fine and I have full control through the eval software.  However, my output frequency is not what is expected or what is reported by the eval SW.  I have a 125 MHz VCXO.  I'm targeting for a 4 GHz VCO to divide to 1 GHZ and then to 40 MHz with /25 each output divider.  Instead I'm getting a solid 5 MHz that does not change no matter what I do to PLL2.  This happens on output4 not just output0 and output1 so it is not the bypass mux available for these output[0,1].  Changing the VCO frequency by changing the N divider or doubler as no effect on the output frequency.  Syncing the output dividers, resetting the device and reloading the stp file, powering down/up PLL2 all these have no effect.  The frequency remains unchanged at 5 MHz which is 125/25

I have also discovered a bug with the eval software.  When I click on the output3 control icon the program crashes and aborts.  I tried this several times with the same result.  I ended up having to manually edit my stp file just to set the output to the proper mode.

Outcomes