AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADV7619 eval board, possible to eliminate messages on serial terminal?

Question asked by tips on Jul 19, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 by tips

Hello,

I am working on some timing measurements for port switching on the ADV7619 eval board, specifically how fast it can get accurate video measurements after switching between port A and B ( right now I'm talking about measurements on the main port, the background measurements may be valuable too).  I'm using a python script to interface by serial port to the eval board, and using the 'hdmia', 'hdmib', 'rdi2c' and 'wri2c' commands and reading registers to see if the plls and filters are locked, then reading the measurements.  I time how long it takes from the switch to when I have the measurements, and will verify the measurements as accurate.  I'm looking for precision to a few tens or maybe up to 50 milliseconds -- it doesn't need to be more precise than that (really I want to know whether the chip takes around 100, 500 ms, or close to one second after a switch for the measurements to be valid).

The problem I'm having is that as soon as there is a port switch a large amount of information (probably about 100 lines of text) appears on the serial terminal.  This has some useful information in it, but I want to read registers directly, and to do that I first have to process this.  This has two effects I want to avoid: 1) it takes time to process this, and affects the precision of my time measurements, and 2) the python script is having a problem with this and sometimes crashing (which surely can be fixed, but time debugging it is a diversion I'm wondering if I can avoid)

So my question is: is there a way to turn off these serial messages that happen on a switch?  Maybe an undocumented serial command?  Or is there any different firmware for the eval board that might have these messages disabled?

Talking to the 7619 directly by I2C would be another way of doing this (more ideal), and I'm sure I'd get more precise measurements.  But I wanted to see if I could get the timing measurements using the command line interface before considering that route.  I'm assuming since AVES supports the Aardvark USB to I2C adapter, we could connect the Aardvark to the eval board and PC and use a Python or Perl script issuing Aardvark I2C commands.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the removal of serial messages or direct I2C communication by script?

Thanks,

Tim

Outcomes