AnsweredAssumed Answered

VisualDSP++ 5.0u10 slow on multicore Athlon - help?

Question asked by jbarber on May 30, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 by CraigG

Hello,

I have a licensed copy of VisualDSP++ 5.0u10 running on a 6-core Athlon X6 1090T processor @ 3.2GHz, with 16GB of fast RAM. Drives are a 120GB Intel SSD (C:) and a Western Digital Velociraptor, (D:) which are fast for "standard" equipment these days. OS is Windows 7 x64. (a clean, full install that runs fine) I'm currently working on new 21489 SHARC projects, and maintaining projects for 21262 through 21479.

My question is - can someone tell me why VisualDSP++ operates much more slowly communicating with the Ez-Kit boards with this machine than my "older" dual-core machine with 4GB RAM and slow(er) drives running 32-bit Vista? In other words, operations like loading DXE's to the processor, debugging (stepping, line-by-line execution) and flash programming all run *quite substantially* slower than with the "old" machine. If I had to speculate I'd guess that the USB drivers are operating at a much reduced speed, but I have no idea why that would be the case. Other USB-enabled software, (both USB 1.X and 2.0) runs without issue on the machine.

The point of spending all the money on the new hardware was for it to replace the old, and my uninformed expectation was for it to be at least as fast... Any ideas as to things to check, or is this just the way it is?

Thanks,

--jim

Outcomes