AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is space_unused() thread safe?

Question asked by fvpetrov on May 3, 2012
Latest reply on May 4, 2012 by MurrayA

Short story:

space_unused() does not seem to use adi_rtl_(un)lock_globals() to protect himself in a multi-threading environment.

Both space_unused() and heap_space_unused() are linked from the libc535mty.dlb library.

Long story:

I'm building a C++ multi-threaded VDK application with VDSP++ 5.0 Update 10 for BF535.

During some parts of the program, new, new[], delete and delete[] operators are used.

I use the space_unused() function in only one thread in my program and this is the thread which sometimes crashes without any obvious reason.

During a stability test today, using a Release build with the HPUSB-ICE emulator, my code crashed in with a misalignment exception in space_unused().

The thread containing space_unused() was interrupted by another one, presumably in the context of space_unused(). The interrupting thread has allocated for sure memory using new[]. When the interrupted thread has resumed the execution, a misalignment exception has occurred in the loop space_unused() implements to calculate the free memory.

I have "parsed" the heap memory "by hand", using the same algorithm space_unused() does and could not find that memory address which caused the misaligned access.

Outcomes