AnsweredAssumed Answered

AD7626 input range

Question asked by StephenD on Apr 20, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 by awalshe

Hi all,

I've an issue with driving my AD7526 ADC - I'm driving the ADC inputs differentially and so at the -FSD end of my input range IN- = 4V and +IN+ = just above 0V i.e so (IN-) - (IN+) = -4V. My ADC drivers are powered from a single +5V rail.

My problem is that my sensor waveform which is also differential, can move momentarilary to beyond the -FSD point described above and forces the amp driving IN+ into non-linear negative saturation. In this case I've aberations on the waveform as the op-amp returns to a linear mode before the CNV is applied.

I can add a DC offset to counteract the issue described above and keep the last op-amp from being over-driven. I then have a second issue with this approach - since the over-drive issue is only momentary, but the offset applied is DC, by the time the CNV pulse arrives I've quite a large baseline offset in terms of ADUs.

The AD7626 datasheet shows many of the driver circuits to be powered by dual (+ve and -ve) rails but the datasheet also quotes the input voltage range WRT AGND as -0.1V. I'm wondering what precautions these circuits have from driving a -ve wavrform into the ADC?

My reason for bringing this point up is a thought that if my last op-amp was powered by a dual supply it would never saturate, as my waveform would only force the ADC input just below 0V for a short period.

Any advice?

Thanking you in advance.

Outcomes