AnsweredAssumed Answered

Plot window doesn't handle pointers correctly

Question asked by Rai on Feb 10, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 by Rai

This is a problem I've been having for a long time: The plot window in VisualDSP will accept a pointer as the "address" value, but doesn't seem to be able to resolve the address correctly. This doesn't occur if the value in the "address" field is an array. Consider for example something like this:

int myarray[1000];

int* mypointer;

void myfunc(){

mypointer=myarray;

}

Now, we would expect that, after myfunc() has been called, it shouldn't matter which one of "myarray" or "mypointer" is in the address field of the plot window, but it does matter; it works with myarray but not with mypointer. The fix I  use is to find the value of mypointer (by mouseover or through the expressions window), and use this in the address field. However, since the pointer value will tend to change with each build, and sometimes during execution, this means that I will need to keep changing the address field.

I've attached a demo project that illustrates the problem, complete with saved plots. The project is for the BF533, I've also tested with bf561 and the problem is the same. I'm using VDSP++ 5.0 update 10, with the HPUSB-ICE emulator.

ploterr.jpg

Attachments

Outcomes