AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to Interpret a Map File Generated by CCES?

Question asked by petrveprek on Jul 25, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 3, 2018 by Reva@14

Hi,

I'd like to take a map file (generated by CCES in XML format) and determine (e.g. using a python script) the total memory size used by objects (both code and data) originating from a specific library or a specific object file.  (I am fine with ignoring any padding due to required object alignment.)  I'd like to be able to do this for a variety of cores (e.g. SHARC+ in 8-bit mode, SHARC+ in 32-bit mode, BlackFin...).

I can generate map files, parse them, and traverse the resulting document tree.  I can run through all the "symbols", pick those that originate from a specific "input" library or object file, and add up all their sizes (found in "address" field).  However, I am seeing some discrepancies.

For example, comparing the same app built for both 32-bit mode and 8-bit mode, sizes in the 8-bit version seems to be counted in (8-bit) bytes.  However, sizes in the 32-bit version look a little inconsistent.  I can clearly see symbols that have size specified in (32-bit) words.  This, however, does not seem to be the case for all symbols in the 32-bit version.  I cannot discern which sizes are in bytes and which in words (i.e. there is no obvious relationship to segment name, memory type...).

Just as further illustration:

-- Size of the 8-bit version is *not* (roughly) four times the size of the 32-bit version (in fact the sum of object sizes is not that different between the two versions)

yet

-- I see that at least some objects' sizes are definitely counted in bytes for the 8-bit version and in words for the 32-bit version.

Any help in much appreciated,

Petr

Outcomes