AnsweredAssumed Answered

12V Overcurrent Issue w/ ADS7-V2 board + AD9162-FMCC-EBZ

Question asked by slakr on Jul 4, 2018

Hi AD Data Converter Engineers,

I am having an issue very similar to the one reported by Beverly on Oct 4, 2016.  She asked:

"How do I resolve FMC_12V Overcurrent state using the ADS7-V2 with a AD9164-FMCB-EBZ installed?"  

to which Biao. H replied, on 13 October 2016:

"1. Try to upgrade the FPGA firmware to the latest version.

2. NCO test mode should work with external 12V power supply."

I was able to upgrade the ADS7-V2 firmware, but this did not resolve the problem.  I am able to work with my DAC evaluation board (AD9162-FMCC-EBZ) in external/ standalone NCO test mode, using the ACE program.   Unfortunately, I need to evaluate the AD9162 with a special waveform (signal vector), thus requiring the use of the ADS7-V2 and the DPG program.

When I connect the AD9162-FMCC-EBZ to the ADS7-V2 board (moving the 12 VDC power from the DAC to the FPGA board), ACE does NOT recognize the DAC.  When I use the DPG software, the program sees both the AD9162-FMCC-EBZ and the ADS7-V2... but throws up the (red) FMC_12V overcurrent LED on the ADS7-V2.  No LEDs light up on the AD9162-FMCC-EBZ.  When I check the 12V test point on the AD9162-FMCC-EBZ board,  I read ~ 1 volt.   Needless to say, I cannot load a signal vector, or get the AD9162-FMCC-EBZ to work with ACE (when it is connected to the ADS7-V2 board).

Please advise on how to resolve this issue, I need to evaluate the AD9162 with our preferred test signals ASAP.

Thanks,

-SLaKr

Outcomes