AnsweredAssumed Answered

AD-FMCOMMS3-EBZ Substitution Question

Question asked by strohsch on May 17, 2018
Latest reply on May 17, 2018 by larsc
We are working on an SDR application operating below 1.1GHz and part of the team is using a Xilinx Zynq ZCU102 Eval. kit with an AD-FMCOMMS3-EBZ AD9361-based FMC card. The other (remote) team would like to build a parallel set-up to test code at our location. Unfortunately, the FMCOMMS3 card will not be available for a couple months. 
However, I do see that the FMCOMMS2 and FMCOMMS4 are available now through various vendors. Also, our SDR only uses one pair of RX/TX connections on the AD9361. With all this in mind, I have the following questions:
  1. How difficult would it be to port code over from the AD9361-based FMCOMMS3 card to the FMCOMMS2 card? I know that the FMCOMMS2 card's balun is tuned for the 2.4GHz range. Could I still use the code I was using for the FMCOMMS3 card, but change the LO frequency to 2.4GHz so that the output could be looped back from the TX to RX side of the FMCOMMS2. I'm really only interested in seeing that we can properly mix our I/Q baseband waveform with the LO on the TX side and then remix and filter back to I/Q baseband on the RX side. Would the process be as simple as to just use the same FMCOMMS3 code on the FMCOMMS2 and change the LO to 2.4GHz?
  2. Alternatively, how difficult would it be to take the FMCOMMS3 code and use it on the single channel of the FMCOMMS4? Is the code exactly the same other than we may need to specify a different RX/TX pair on the substituted FMCOMMS4? The FMCOMMS4 balun is the wider band 70MHz - 6GHz balun as was used on the FMCOMMS3.
Thanks.

Outcomes