AnsweredAssumed Answered

AD9578 crystal parameters with external clock

Question asked by cosmolittle on Feb 11, 2018

It appears possible to change the crystal oscillator parameters when using an external clock. This has a substantial effect on integer boundary spurs.

In my application I use a 1:1 transformer to drive the XO1 and XO2 pins. The drive level at the transformer primary is about 1.6V PP HCMOS at 50MHz. The transformer secondary connects to the XO1/2 pins.

I use a transformer in order to isolate the AD9578 ground and the analog ground on the board.

My  default for register 4 is 00AAh, ie the outputs are all LVPECL, and the crystal gain and capacitance are the default.

At an output frequency of 899.55MHz, I get  integer boundary spurs at -52dBc.

If I change the register 4 value to F0AAh, I get a spur value under the same conditions of -73dBc, a very substantial improvement. This register setting changes the crystal amplifier gain to a minimum ( I deduce this from table 25), and sets the load capacitances to maximum.

There is nothing about this effect in the data sheet.

I would help if I understood the structure of the XO1 and XO2 inputs. This cannot be a true differential input, as the crystal amplifier must be on for the input to work at all. I understand that the xtal sustaining amplifier is always on if either PLL uses XO1/2 as the reference, and bit 26 of register 3 has no effect.

This is not the case for inputs XO3/4, when the xtal amplifier must be switched on using bit 8 of register 10, for the input to work.

Could you please comment on this , and if possible supply a part schematic of the XO1/2 inputs.

regards

Cosmo Little

Outcomes