AnsweredAssumed Answered

JTAG Programming Z035SOM + PZSDR2400TDD + ADRV1CRR-FMC fails

Question asked by MTYM on Feb 6, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 10, 2018 by CsomI

I am trying to program an ADRV1-9361-Z7035 SOM (Rev E), mounted in a ADRV1CRR-FMC (Rev C) via the JTAG cable with my bitstream and probes. 

The system also has a PZSDR2400TDD.  (Everything fails the same when the TDD is removed)

I would like to use the Vivado Logicscope to analyze the operation of my Verilog.

[ I have two identical setups of the above, and they both fail the same way. ]

1) Upon reset of the board, I can "see" the arm_dap_0, zc7z035_1 and XADC in the Vivado (2016.2) Hardware Manager.

2) I select the zc7z035_1, and program it, using Vivado->Program Device, specifying my Bitstream and Debug Probes files; and have enabled the end of startup check.   (Same failure happens when I unselect the end of startup check)

Progress bar proceeds nicely; and when full, the blue LED lights up next to CFG DONE on the ADRV1CRR-FMCboard; and the green "not CFG DONE" LED on the SOM board goes out. (Failure happens at all of the JTAG speeds I tried, including 6,000,000 15,000,000 and even 60,000,000)

In every case, however, Vivado reports:

ERROR: [Labtools 27-3165] End of startup status: LOW

program_hw_devices: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:08 ; elapsed = 00:00:08 . Memory (MB): peak = 4290.379 ; gain = 0.000

ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'program_hw_devices' failed due to earlier errors.

Attempting to re-connect to the JTAG is not possible until resetting the board; either from the Vivado hardware manager, or from the XSDK  XMD port (it reports

connect arm hw -cable esn Digilent/210299A17D28
ERROR:
Unknown Error Occured

(Hmm, typo in XMD!)

3) Using a different JTAG-iHS3 RevA yields the same #sad results.

4) Loading the same bitstream into a BOOT.bin file, putting that on an SDCARD, and inserting the card in the Carrier's SDCARD slot (and setting S1 to SDC and S3 and S4 to 1 and 1) the image boots up fine and launches nicely; so the bitstream is OK.

5) To regain control of the JTAG bus I have to press the reset button on either the SOM, or on the CRR board.

As for jumpers on the CRR-FMC, they are in the default position: JP1 is open; OTG has 1 and 2 shorted together; P18 is open; P8 (VADJ) is open, so selecting 1.8V. (Nothing is connected to the FMC; nothing to any of the SMC connectors)

As for LEDs, after programming, and the fail message, on the CRR-FMC board DS8 is red; DS2 is red (dimmer than DS8); DS7 is blue; and on the SOM, D3 is green, and D4 is off.

Before programming, the CRR leds DS8 and DS2 are lit red; (same relative brightness as after programming) and DS7 is off; and on the SOM, D3 and D4 are both lit green.

Any suggestions!?

Outcomes