AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADXL355/357 Device IDs (PARTID)

Question asked by AndrewC on Dec 13, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 6, 2018 by AndrewC

TLDR version: My question is this:

Is there a way of telling from reading the registers whether the device is an ADXL355 or an ADXL357?

Full version:

Hi, I have an application where I may fit either an ADXL355 or an ADXL357, due to different range requirements. I would like to identify the part type in software if possible, so that i can set up the appropriate scaling.

Looking through the ADXL355 data sheet, the PARTID register (Device ID, address 0x02) contains "355" in octal (0xED). This filled me with hope that the ADXL357 would have "357"  (0xEF) in the PARTID register, but alas it also contains "355"! A quick read of the parts I have shows that this is accurate (I was hoping for a typo in the datasheet), so I presume the two parts just use the same ASIC.

My question is this:

Is there a way of telling from reading the registers whether the device is an ADXL355 or an ADXL357?

My fall back is to use the total acceleration field on power-up (when the device is stationary) to work out the scale factor and select the code appropriately. If there is a simple register I can read, this would be far more preferable.

Many thanks,

Andrew 

Outcomes