I tried to run the ADV7511 reference design (from https://wiki.analog.com/resources/fpga/xilinx/kc705/adv7511#dokuwiki__top) on ZedBoard, and the image shown on the screen is black. The audio noise is generated, though. I built the project myself in Vivado 2018.2.2, using the following:
- For the hardware part of the project, I used the latest version of the https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/hdl master branch which is available today;
- For the SW part of the project, I used the latest version of the https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/no-OS master branch which is available today.
Please note that in order to build the project, I encountered the following issues which I had to fix/workaround:
1. In order to build the project on Windows 10 64-bit, I had to install Cygwin. However, Cygwin 64-bit does not work. I had to install Cygwin 32-bit in order to make the build work.
2. When adding in Xilinx SDK the lib folder and the library name, the correct library name is "HDMI_ZedBoardLib", not "HDMI_ZynqLib" which is shown here https://wiki.analog.com/_detail/resources/fpga/xilinx/fmc/fmc-imageon/adv7511_settings_include_library_path.png?id=resources%3Afpga%3Axilinx%3Akc705%3Aadv7511.
3. When building the SW in SDK, I encountered an error saying that the project asks a hard floating point, while the library does not. However, any changes I made inside system.mss got overwritten by SDK. So I had to change -mfloat-abi=hard to -mfloat-abi=soft in multiple locations: inside system.mss, inside the BSP makefile, and in two locations in the project itself (ARM v7 gcc compiler and ARM v7 gcc linker).
4. Also while building the SW in SDK, I encountered an error saying that multiple DMA-related functions inside xdmaps.c are declared as static (a recent change from Xilinx, apparently) and are therefore no longer accessible from the project (i.e. cf_hdmi.c). Several examples of such functions: XDmaPs_Instr_DMAMOV, XDmaPs_Instr_DMAEND etc. My workaround for this problem was to manually copy all these functions from xdmaps.c to cf_hdmi.c.
Despite fixing/working around the above issues, the project still did not work on ZedBoard. Do you know what could cause this problem?
However, if I tried to use the 2018_r1 branches instead (for HW: https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/hdl/tree/hdl_2018_r1/; for SW: https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/no-OS/tree/2018_R1), after doing the same fixes/workarounds, the ADV7511 demo works fine on ZedBoard, and I am now able to see the Analog Devices / Xilinx test image on the screen.
Thank you for reporting the issue and for the detailed description.
At the moment we are working on 2018_r2 release where we replaced the Xilinx VDMA with the ADI axi_dmac core. The no-Os branch is not yet updated. This is the cause of the black screen you encountered.