I am not sure about all of you, but this is my first global pandemic. None of us knows when this will end. But we all know it will end. And for most of us, given the uncertainty, this is a much heavier lift than expected. There will be movies made telling this story, and Maxim's story will be told, as it always has been told, by our employees.
In true "One Maxim" spirit, our team is doing its part in the global fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, with many employees sheltering in place and working from home. Those who can work in our factories and offices are strictly adhering to social distancing and meticulous cleaning and safety requirements. Despite everything being turned upside down and all the uncertainty, Maxim has implemented a number of programs to support our employees and our larger community through this unprecedented time. A handful of these initiatives is described below.
Supporting Our Employees
The health and safety of our employees is priority one. Our manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Thailand, and the Philippines adhere to strict cleaning and safety protocols to protect workers from infection. Maxim offices that are open or have a small team of essential workers are likewise following rigorous disinfecting and safety procedures.
Most non-manufacturing employees across the globe now work from home. Given the realities that a larger-than-usual population is working from home during this global health crisis, we continually communicate best practices to help focus our workforce on productivity, results, and personal and team well-being. These include setting up an effective workspace, video assessments with ergonomic specialists, tips and tricks for video meetings, and recognition opportunities. We also offer live and recorded webinars for coping with stress during uncertainty, as well as other physical and mental health resources. Aligned with our "One Maxim" collaboration-focused value, we have migrated to team-building activities leveraging technology, conducting events such as virtual happy hours, online movie parties, coffee breaks, and book club meetings.
In addition, many parents are now balancing their professional responsibilities with homeschooling their children. Moms and dads are quickly learning how challenging teaching can be—especially with the youngest students. In the US, Maxim launched its Homeschooling Resource Exchange, an online site that welcomes the sharing of useful tips, questions and answers, educational materials, and other recommendations. The site is organized into channels for different grade levels.
Maxim recognizes that employee development remains essential as no business can afford to put competency building on hold even as it puts employee safety first. Throughout this crisis and afterwards, Maxim understands that increased learning capabilities will drive a stronger future for our company. To that end, we redesigned MaximU, our online learning portal filled with training targeted to specific jobs, professional skills development, and management and leadership topics. In addition to a collection of video-based classes, the portal also features a Knowledge Bank where employees can search for discussions, papers, presentations, and other resources from their colleagues. Maxim's Learning & Organization Development team supports virtual learning globally, from live webinars for manager skill-building to virtual unconscious bias workshops to cultural intelligence workshops as well as the kick off of a new "Invest in Yourself" workshop with Maxim's IT team.
The spread of COVID-19 has also disrupted our financial wellbeing. To help alleviate some of the concerns that our employees may have, Maxim added a new paid COVID-19 leave for those who are unable to work due to the pandemic. Maxim also updated our benefits, including an additional hospital allowance for our employees in China and loan payment deferrals for U.S. 401(k) plan participants. In addition, we are covering 100% of the costs for medically necessary COVID-19 testing globally, and our employee assistance program provides confidential advice and support to those who need it. In the U.S., Maxim has offered additional financial education via its 401(k) administrator, Fidelity Investments.
Supporting Our Community
We have all seen on the news stories about individuals and families in our community who are facing hardships as this pandemic unfolds. Maxim historically focuses its charitable giving in support of our local communities. This crisis is no different, as we sponsor a variety of relief efforts to help those in need. Below are just a few examples.
- In Cavite, Philippines, the site of Maxim's largest factory, Maxim contributes US$10,000 per week to help feed the local community and will continue to do so throughout the epidemic. We've also distributed personal protective equipment (PPE) to front-line healthcare workers in the region.
- Maxim donated 2,000 N95 masks to hospitals in Portland, Oregon, and in the Silicon Valley.
- Employees at our San Jose, California, headquarters participated in a donation drive for Second Harvest of Silicon Valley, raising more than $22,000 that will be matched dollar for dollar by the company. This contribution will help provide more than 85,000 healthy meals to those in need.
- Our employees based in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, organized a fundraiser for the Merrimack Valley Food Bank, where all employee contributions will be matched by Maxim.
- Maxim employees in Italy are donating to COVID-19 hospitals in Milan and Catania via payroll deduction.
- Through Maxim's Give.Care.Do. program, our kind and generous employees have also contributed to other nonprofit organizations who are providing COVID-19 support.
- In partnership with One Billion Literates Foundation, an organization that provides quality education to underprivileged children in rural Bangalore, the Maxim India team has contributed a grant that funds COVID-19 relief and rehabilitation activities. These funds will help provide those in need with dry ration food kits and fabric face masks.
Maxim employees in the Philippines package food donations as part of the company's various COVID-19 relief efforts.
Without hesitation, every one of Maxim's 7100+ employees is working relentlessly to shape how the story of our company will be told during this pandemic. When the pandemic will end is uncertain. I am, however, certain that Maxim will continue to do its part to contain the spread of the infection, support employee healthcare, help to maintain employee financial well-being, and do our best to keep manufacturing running to support our customers.
Wishing you and your family the best of health!