selecting optimal single phase energy meter IC that uses current transformers


I'm building two versions of an energy meter (one used in three phases systems and the other one used in one phase systems).

My customer explicitly requests that they need to use current transformers and not shunt resistors.

I've selected the ADE9000 IC for the three phase version, but I need to choose the energy meter for the one phase version.

At first I selected the ADE9153A, but after some digging in the datasheet I think that you are forced to use a shunt resistor (even if you do not use the mSure autocalibration function), is this correct? What other ICs you reccommend that have similar available measurment in respect of ADE9000 and uses current transformers? ADE7953 perhaps?


  • 0
    •  Analog Employees 
    on Oct 12, 2020 1:01 PM 1 month ago

    Hi the ADE7953 would be a good choice. I don't know you cost target but the ADE9000 will also work as single phase and this would simplify your design. 


  • Unfortunately using the ADE9000 for a single phase meter is too costly for the final design (the ADE7953 costs about 1/3).

    I presume that there is not a true ADE9000 single phase version, right?

  • 0
    •  Analog Employees 
    on Oct 12, 2020 3:31 PM 1 month ago in reply to alegioit

    The ADE9153A can use ct's on channel A you just can't use msure. The ADE7953 is your other option.

  • Thanks Dave,

    so I can use the ADE9153A with CTs. Could you clarify this?

    As seen in the ADE9153A datasheet I can use CT on channel A and B (but is explained that channel A is "ideal for shunts") and I suppose that I simply connect the CT on channel A as indicated for channel B in fugure 37 of the datasheet.

    On the application note for ADE9153A (AN-1562) and in the datasheet is explained that the mSure autocalibration can be used on Channel B (the neutral channel) by "connecting a wire from IBMS pin leading through the primary winding of the CT and back to Pin 20(DGND)"

    My question is: can I use only the channel (B) or I need to use the channel A and channel B is optional (maybe to have more precise results)?

  • 0
    •  Analog Employees 
    on Oct 12, 2020 7:41 PM 1 month ago in reply to alegioit

    you can connect the ct the same as all of our other parts. 

    The IA is design to work with shunts as well as CT. Channel A has an amplifier to improve snr at high gains similar to the ADE7953. 

    I thought you did not want to use msure. gain calibration is correct but no phase. channel b is for RMS only so phase is not an issue. If you use a CT on channel A the power path, you will need to do phase cal and if you do phase cal gain cal can be done as well very quickly. 

    If you use a CT on channel A I don't recommend using msure