We had the intension of using ADE9153 Energy metering IC with a 3P + 1N system. During our review we have noticed that, both the application circuit and the eval board connected phase with non isolated side of the board. This connection style will cause a Phase to Phase short circuit to our system. Using a coil instead of using a shunt resistor will eliminate this problem, but it can not be acceptable to us due to our temper proofing requirements. Right now we are considering using separate isolated regulators for 3 ADE9153A’s. This also empozes some challenges associated with cost and also we are also not sure using separate digital isolators with single SPI circuit on the SAFE SIDE will work or not. We are also considering to change the IC but there is no other one with a self calibration function on the market so we are stuck.
We would like receive your opinion using ADE9153 with a 3P + 1N system. What should be the connection style maybe another connection diagram you can offer with common neural line.
Thanks to all
Thank you for your interest in ADI products.
The ADE9153A is an IC for single phase metrology with mSure autocalibration functionality. TO add, it shuld work with shunt and not current transformer in order to perform the mSure autocalibration. aving 3 phase shunts requires an isolated sensor such as CT in order to isolate the phase to phase connection of the shunt which can cause the short circuit. As said the ADE9153A works with shunts. My colleague dlath can help more about the ADE9153A.
Hello aheredia for your support offer and referring to dlath. This post has been created two weeks ago and in the given time we have directly contacted AD CAC and got some answers.
I will share what we have learned here for the community
- Each ADE9153A requires its reference to be directly connected to the measurement phase.There is no alternative reference to neutral line connection scheme available.
- This form of connection logically requires isolating each IC seperatly not to cause phase to phase short circuit.
- We were very well aware of this kind of connection will work, but it will draw cost very high for us.
- Using CT is already not an option for us, unrelated.
- We have choosen not to use ADE9153A, instead we will continue developing our products with ADE7933 and ADE7978 IC's.