The SDP (System Demonstration Platform) is a collection of controller boards, interposer boards, and daughter boards used for easy, low cost evaluation of ADI components and reference circuits. The controller boards provide a means of communicating to the PC from the system being evaluated or demonstrated. The SDP-B is a Blackfin, ADSP-BF527, based controller board. The SDP-B has on board JTAG, SDRAM, Flash memory and an LED making it an attractive package for those looking at low cost development platforms on Blackfin.
For more information see:www.analog.com/sdp
Before proceeding, determine which version of the SDP-B board you have, and contact private support through the link below to obtain the Loader Image (*.ldr) for your target.
Please ensure you have followed the steps in FAQ: Using the Blackfin SDP-B as a BF527 Evaluation Platform to set up your development environment to use the SDP-B with VisualDSP++, then follow the steps below.
To restore the SDP-B image to flash you will also need the Flash Programmer Interface Application *.dxe file for the EEPROM. The Rev B. board uses the M29W320EB Parallel Flash part, while the Rev 1.3 uses the M25P32 Serial Flash. Please ensure you use the correct Flash Programmer Interface Application DXE.
You can use the Flash Programmer Interface Applications for the BF527 EZ-KIT Lite, with a little modification, on the SDP-B. These are located in the VisualDSP++ installation under the directory "...\Blackfin\Examples\ADSP-BF527 EZ-KIT Lite\Flash Programmer\". The required Modifications are as follows:
Parallel Flash (SDP-B Rev. B)
To enable access to the flash you need to clear the PortG registers as follows:
*pPORTG_FER &= ~0x0001;
*pPORTGIO_CLEAR = 0x0001;
Serial Flash (SDP-B Rev 1.3)
The only difference between the M25P32 Serial Flash on the SDP-B and the M25P16 Serial Flash on the EZ-KIT Lite is capacity; the former is 32MB while the latter is 16MB. You can use the default BF527 EZ-KIT Lite Serial Flash driver, though this will only give access to the lower 16MB of the Flash. Access to the full 32MB requires a single change.
Note: This requires modifying the actual device driver at "...\Blackfin\lib\src\drivers\flash\M25P16\adi_m25p16.c" - i.e. this will affect all Flash Programmer Interface Applications that use this driver, including the one for the BF527 EZ-KIT Lite, if they are rebuilt against the modified source file.
Simply change the following line:
#define NUM_SECTORS 32
#define NUM_SECTORS 64
Using the Flash Programmer to Restore the Image
- Within the VisualDSP++ IDDE, connect to your SDP-B session, then open the Flash Programmer Utility via ‘Tools: Flash Programmer’
- Under ‘Driver File’ click “Browse”
- Navigate to the location of the Flash Programmer Interface Application *.dxe file. Click “Open” to choose this file
- Click “Load Driver” and, after a few moments, the Flash Information and Driver Information should be populated, and the message “Success: Driver Loaded” displayed in the Message Center
- Click on the “Programming” tab
- Select “Erase Affected” under ‘Pre-program erase options’, and “Intel Hex” under ‘File Format’
- Select “Browse” under ‘Data File’
- Navigate to the location of the SDP-B Flash Image *.ldr file, and click “Open” to choose this file
- If you wish, check the box to “Verify while programming”, then click “Program”
- Once the programming has completed, select “OK” to close the programmer, quit VisualDSP++ and power-cycle the target. The SDP-B image will boot from flash and you will be able to use your target as part of the SDP-B Evaluation platform once again.