This guide will lead you through the steps to program the FMC FRU ID EEPROM on a ZedBoard Linux platform.
- You will need a ZedBoard.
- To Connect to the ZedBoard you will need a USB-A to micro-USB male cable.
- Ensure an SD card formatted correctly for your Evaluation Board, is inserted into the ZedBoard.
- information on how to format SD card correctly. Link:https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/zynq_images/windows_hosts
- Information on how to image SD card for specific Eval Board. Link:https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/adi-kuiper_images_for_ace
- Optional: Tip check if the SD card image is suitable, on the ZedBoard, open a shell and try to ‘cd /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-0050’. If this directory exists, and contains a file called ‘eeprom’ the SD card image is suitable.
Required software and files
Used to form SSH connection to Eval board and install eeprom.
- Contact Analog Devices and request an fmceeprom configuration file for the ZedBoard based EVB from Analog Devices.
Step 1. Setup the ZedBoard.
- Connect power supply to ZedBoard.
- USB connection from OTG port to pc.
- Insert SD card into the ZedBoard SD card slot and connect the Eval board onto the ZedBoard.
- Once powered on with the switch the blue LED will turn on and after 20 seconds the red LED will begin flashing.
Step 2. Launch device manager to find the ports that the USB is using.
- The ports of interest and the USB devices can be seen circled in red below.
Step 3. Using the port information from step 2 and MobaXterm, we will find the IP address of the USB0 device.
- Launch MobaXterm and make a serial connection with speed of 115200bps to port 6(may be different for you check step 2).
- Login in to user:root password:analog if prompted.
- use the command ( ifconfig usb0 up).
- Now use command ( ifconfig ) as seen below to get the IP address circled in red.
Step 4. Creating SSH connection with board.
- Launch MobaXterm and create an SSH connection using the IP address from step 3, as seen below.
Step 5. Moving the FMC file onto SD card.
- Once the session has been created you might be prompted to login.
- If so, Login in as user:root password:analog.
- You will now see a file bar on the left of the terminal.
- Find the FMC file that you wish to use and drop it into the file bar on the left as seen below.
Step 6. Installing the eeprom.
To install the new eeprom, use the following commands in the terminal.
- cp /root/(name of eeprom file of choice) /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-0050/eeprom #This installs the new eeprom.
- fru-dump -i /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-0050/eeprom -b #This checks that the new file is in place.