I have the AD7985 eval board and I am referring to the EVAL-AD7944_85_86EDZ manual (a pdf file got in the cd came with the board). I am trying to test the AD7985 with Beaglebone Black over SPI Interface. Few things are not clear.
1. Somewhere in the manual, it is mentioned that the connector P3 is used for power supply but no details as such.
2. There is no power supply unit came with the board. How do I power the board?
3. Especially, I want to power it from the Beaglebone itself.
4. Also there is a software given in the cd, how do I connect the board to pc? Do I need another board in order to connect the board to pc via usb?
5. Can I see the sampled data simultaneously on the pc software and also fed it to beagle bone over spi?
6. If I just want to use the AD7985 from the board, how to do that?
The AD7985 evaluation board can be operated in stand alone or with the Converter Evaluation and Development board, EVAL-CED1Z, which is purchased separately. When operated with the CED board, power supplies are provided and you may use the software provided to analyze the ADC's performance.
From what I understand, you only have the AD7985 evaluation board. Now for stand-alone operation, power supplies need to be applied at P4 or at the relevant test points. At a minimum, the board requires ±5 V, +12 V, +7 V, or + 2.5 V. I believe there is a section on the technical note for configuring the board for stand-alone operation.
I will get back to you with answers for your other questions as soon as possible.
The 3-wire serial interface SDI, SCK, and SDO together with CNV are present on the digital interface test points and the deserialized data can be monitored on the 96-pin edge connecter, P1, BD[15:0] so you can tap into these if you want data to be sent to your Beaglebone. We do not provide support for the Beaglebone Black though.
If you opt not to use the CED and want Beaglebone to power your board, just connect its resources to the test points or at P4 of the AD7985 evaluation board. But if it doesn’t have the AD7985 eval boards’ required supplies, you’d have to use an external power supply on these test points.
As I mentioned, if you use the CED board all power supplies and control signals are already provided.
Hope this helps.